Feb 5, 2009

Mighty Patola

In Tijuana, Mexico police officers suspected of conspiring with drug traffickers had their guns confiscated. Fearing for their lives they stopped patrolling, but only for a time. Some returned to work using sling shots as their protection. Eventually, after three weeks they were re-issued their more effective weapons.

In the Philippines imagine if we took away our police officers' weapons upon learning that they are colluding with drug traffickers, do we now call them "Police Patola"? That was the first term that came to mind when I read this story. I was giggling & eventually broke into laughter as I imagined our local police running after criminals & waving patola(sponge gourd) as they command them to: Stop in the name of the mighty Patola & desist from committing any more felony. Just think a 'patola' (sponge gourd) used as "loofa" when dried to gently scrape dead skin cells from our bodies used as a weapon! If the law is after me & a 'patola' is used to confront my criminality, I don't know if I should laugh, get confused or ran even faster because the 'patola' would not hit any vital parts in my body anyway, so I can definitely go my merry way. If caught I wonder would they give me the 'patola' to use as an ingredient for my daily food in jail or I am in prison because not only will I have to pay for my crimes, but make a livelihood for the police by drying up 'patolas' and supplying them all over the nation?

Such a funny thought! If only we can use a more effective weapons than guns, specially when the miscreants all over the country have more sophisticated armada of weapons of their own.

No comments: